Monday, September 8, 2008

All sorts of stuff

Seems all we ever do on the weekends anymore is scooter ride. And we love it! We had a wild hair Saturday night while the kids were with their mom and decided to call up a few friends from church for a night out. A few of us share the same love for scootering so we met up at the house and scootered to an Italian ice cream shop. After totally messing up our diets, we headed home to watch Wild Hogs on the big screen. I think we just might do it again sometime. My birthday is coming up... good enough of an excuse as any right? Yes, I said diet. Do I really mean DIET? The word just makes me sick. Mike and I are trying to do better. How's that? Mike's got a class reunion coming up in October and we'd like to feel better/look better for the big weekend so we are working on portion control and midnight snacks. It's so much easier doing it together! Now if we could just get off the scooters and onto our bicycles.
I'm still try to walk a couple of days a week. My darn hips have not served me well in the last few months. I'm getting that checked with the bone doc tomorrow as a matter of fact. Just shouldn't hurt like that when I run. Or attemp to run. I'm looking forward to finding out what my body is telling me and getting back to some training.

Kids are loving school. Graham is way busy but I think he is enjoying it. Marching band keeps him moving and Thursday was his first game. Mike attended it after Maddie's Meet the Teacher night while I got the other two kids to bed. Graham and Mike finally rolled in just before 11pm! Poor Graham was dragging the next morning for seminary. Fortunately they don't do many games on a school night. I'm proud of Graham for making the efforts he does for seminary, band and school. I know it's like having a job (been there, done that) but I think it's so very good for him to feel busy and productive. I want him to seize the moment, learn responsibility, make all kinds of friends, learn to prioritize and sacrifice. I'm really, really excited for him. Kinda makes me wish I could do it all over again.... kinda.

Maddie loves school because her teacher looks pretty much like Barbie. She's a good teacher and they have the coolest program in her class where they earn real money doing chores/jobs in class. After they've accumulated a certain amount then they can go the the "store" and buy things. All the while learning about "credit" and "debit." I love the idea. Can you see a pattern here? I'm all about learning! Maddie's birthday is coming up too and she is pretty excited about turning 9 and having a big bash to celebrate. She so loves her girl time!

Zack is doing a wonderful job in school. He still claims that this is his favorite year so far. Could be a little of everything; new school that he doesn't have to share with siblings, his own locker, three great teachers, new subjects, soccer! I just love that he loves it. Zack is in advance classes. He's a pretty smart kid but sometimes he's in his own little world and takes his time doing things. We worried a little that 5th grade would be a bit overwhelming for him. So far he is taking it in stride and we are very pleased. Of course, progress reports have not been presented yet, but we are expecting some great outcomes from all the kids. Zack is still the most cuddly and loving boy anyone could ever wish to have.

Hurricane Ike is lerking in the waters, having already hit Cuba I believe. It's too soon to tell what this one will do. During Gustav we enjoyed a couple day visit from Mike's parents and that was nice. It's always so fun to have company and when the company cooks and cleans... double nice. We appreciate the support and love that Bill and Nancy show us. It's obvious they love the kids and are proud of their Mike. They're always so verbal of their appreciation. It's just nice to have a good set of in-laws!

So here's to Ike.... bring on the in-laws.

3 comments:

Christie said...

Looks like fun! I am glad your kids are liking school. It sounds like they are having a good time. I got your blog from Gina's blog, sneaky I know. my email is txsmithkids@gmail.com.

Tamie said...

wow! you guys are busy...or actually the kids are busy, eh? but it is for sure good for them.
now that would have been fun to go on a date: scooter style! and what fun for you and mike!

Lisa said...

Oh Chelle, reading your blog makes me miss you even more. Oh how I wish I could spend more time with your family. And that you could see Millie more. She is becoming quite the lover..... Keep up with the blog I love to see what you are up to and I promise to get better with mine.....