Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Epiphany

I had a wonderful and satisfying epiphany last night. My 15 year old step son came into the kitchen earlier in the evening while I was still engaged in my own thing, inquiring about when dinner would be ready. He was "starving" and apparently had been for some time. I told him dinner would be ready when it's ready OR..... he could go ahead and get it started.

Folks, I didn't have to cook dinner last night. Eureka! The secret to a stress free evening:
Starve your children as long as possible. Not only will they be tempted to cook, but they will also be so hungry they will eat just about anything.

I long to have a baby of my own. I have for a very long time. I've dreamed up hundreds of scenarios welcoming this beautiful baby into our not-so-nuclear family. I think I would be a good mother as I have a lot of love to give. Although some days my heart aches and I fight to hold back tears, most other days I am accepting of what it is. While coming to terms, I try to see the positive in the life I have now. It is a very, very good life.

I have a husband who expresses his love for me every day, verbally and physically. There is never a doubt in my mind that I mean the world to him. And then there are those kids of his. Three wonderful and loving kids. Even though I did not birth them, I feel a love for them that I dare say most step moms don't possess. I feel very protective of them. I have a strange (almost panicky) responsiblity to guide and direct them to good and righteous things. And in return, I get the affection that I so desire. Not a day goes by that those kids don't hug me, kiss me, share their exciting moments with me.

They need me, and I need them. How blessed we are that our Heavenly Father knows what He's doing.

4 comments:

Christie said...

Chelle,
I am so sorry it is a struggle for you, I know we each have are own. You are an amazing gal, and a wonderful mom. I know Heavenly Father has a wonderful plan for you. I wish sometimes He'd let me in on the plans. Love ya.
Christie

Chris said...

When I count my blessings, your Mike and his children are among them. They give purpose to your life and while the rewards are not exactly as you would like, they are satisfying, and what a priceless gem you are in their lives. "The rewards for our labor is not what we receive, but rather what we become" and what you have become is a great wife and mother, just as you have dreamed of for so many years. We don't know all the answers because we don't have all the data but Father in Heaven has and we'll learn all the details when the time is right. Keep enjoying the journey.

Katie Wells said...

Chelle,

Your family is beautiful! I'm sorry you haven't been blessed with new additions. It's not easy when you want a baby so badly and it doesn't happen. I'm so glad we are back in touch!

Mindi said...

Dont ever give up hope and remember I'm here praying for you and I love you