Thursday, August 27, 2009

The P90X scoop, Chelle style!

I wasn't going to make a big deal out of my P90X challenge. Mainly because the last time I posted a goal (Remember the running thing? Ya know, the one that went SPLAT.) well, it went stinkin' SPLAT. I failed due to a you-didn't-do-it-right injury. Hexed no doubt.

But this time, I'm in control. Plus I've had several people asking about it and I don't want to disappoint. So, here goes.

I also wasn't going to post any pictures, but my DH put this little tidbit together of me doing Yoga one evening and I thought it turned out cool. For any of you Yoga experts out there, I KNOW I'm not doing some of the moves right so just be patient with me. I'm improving everyday! I also know that you're supposed to do this barefoot. Ain't nobody's experienced sweaty hands and feet like I have, trust me.

P90X is the most difficult workout I've ever actually stuck to. "When the going get's tough, the tough quit" is usually my motto. But so far, so good. P90X is H-A-R-D!

I would absolutely recommend it if you are already sorta-kinda fit. Wouldn't be a good idea if you are a couch potato. I would also recommend a constant partner. I think that single thing has made a world of difference for me. Thanks Karen!!!!!

I started up a blog for my P90X journey, but heck, isn't one blog enough?! I couldn't keep up. P90X is a commitment and time consuming. It's at least 1 to 1 1/2 hours 6 days a week for 12 whole weeks. We, Karen and I, are into our 5th week and still hangin' strong.

The whole idea of P90X is muscle confusion. We rotate certain intense styles of exercise for a few weeks then it gets all changed up for a week (called Recover week - HA!) then starts back up with some of the same and some different styles for another few weeks, etc., etc. I love the concept and it makes complete sense to me. We do strength training with weights, kick boxing, yoga, abdominal killers, lots of core work and lots of stretching. Really good variety.

So far, I feel great! Not only do I feel toner and stronger, but I feel so much more energetic! And my eating has improved immensely. Don't get me wrong, it's still hard and some days I HATE IT! But if I can just get through the hour, then I'm done for the day, I can pat myself on the back and chill for another 24 hours. I started to feel toner around week 2. I know what you're dying to ask me. Yes, I took before pictures. Yes, I'm taking pictures periodically throughout the whole process. Yes, I'm seeing ever so slight changes in my body shape. NO, I'm not quite ready to post them. I'm pretty sure I'll post after my 12th week because I'm pretty sure I'll be happy with the results. I won't be a body builder or The Next Top Model, but there will be change.

There is a nutrition plan that comes with the DVDs. It's a pretty good plan. I don't follow it to the tee. Hey, I live with the ultimate sweet tooth and his posterity!! Give me a little break! BUT, I have cut down extensively on sweets and starches and my personal favorite... portion control. The diet is basically low carb, high lean proteins, lots of fruits and veggies. Which really makes my motor run smoother anyways. Everyday I get better and every day gets easier, really. The real challenge is to avoid the ever so strong urge to step up on the scale every stinkin' day. I've not lost much weight and it could get very discouraging if I were to let it!

So, there you have it. P90X in a nutshell. Well, not really but you get the gist. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I'm no professional, but I'm living it now and I'm learning lots. I think the two things I could strongly suggest would be 1- don't get in a big hurry, this is a slow process, 2- find a workout buddy. It makes all the difference.

I will keep you posted!

5 comments:

Katie Wells said...

I'm excited to watch the process. I've heard a lot about this program.

Chris said...

You & Jen are such an inspiration. Running is not my forte either. Love the pics! Once, my OB GYN said, "I'd give ANYTHING to get in shape, short of diet and exercise." My kinda guy. Keep up the good work and maybe someday I will be able to glean knowledge & enthusiasm from the Feidler Fitness truck as it passes by. Look what a good example you are setting for the rest of your family!

English Rose said...

You're fab!!! Thanks for being such an amazing work out partner.

Tamie said...

WAHOOOO!!!! i seriously am just sooooo excited to see the end result....the getting there is so the toughest part of it, eh? but i am so glad that you're sticking with it.
good for you!!!!! you are sooo very inspiring!

BeTheChallenge said...

I'm in Phase 2 of my P90X and it is kicking me in the butt. I'm still working out in the gym so I think both workouts are catching up with me. I'm enjoying the referral rewards though. I actually made some some money with P90X. I'm looking forward to Insanity as well. Health is Wealth, pass it on...