Saturday, October 24, 2009

My First 5K!

Our stake planned a Fun Run 2009 for members and friends today. It was an effort in our Word of Wisdom Promise. Doctrine & Covenants 89:20, "And shall run and not be weary, and shall walk and not faint."
With only about 3 weeks of P90X left to go, I started training for my first 5k, to be held October 24th, 2009. I would attempt to jog around my pre-measured 3.1 mile subdivision a couple of times a week. It is tough for me. I couldn't get beyond 2 miles, ever, no matter what kind of pep talk or initiative I gave myself before hand.

It was a mental block. I know that now. I thought it was my health at first, then my age, then I realized it was my personality. I give up too easily. I decided to go ahead with the run even though I figured I would need to walk it some. It was a good start and by the 2 mile point, I was struggling. Pains in all the normal places, BUT I knew there would be people waiting on the other side. I kept going and would you believe, I finished!

We won't mention the time I ran it in. I'm pretty pleased I even finished. I've never been a competitive person, but more of a pleaser. I had a few friends there that were really encouraging and I knew I would want to tell Mike and the kids that I actually completed it.

So here's to P90X and the little bit of training I've done. I'm glad I did it and I'd like to do it again soon.

3 comments:

Chris said...

Dear Competitor # 782, Congratulations on an achievement I could have never dreamed of doing! After doing the grueling exercises you do and training for the 5K run, I have to doubt that you are much of a quitter. What a great accomplishment for someone who has never liked running at all!

Mindi said...

you are very impressive #782!!!

English Rose said...

I'm so proud of you!!