Monday, July 26, 2010

YW Summer Camp 2010

Let me just say that this was the best summer camp I've been to thus far! As a leader, I got to participate in most of the activities AND boss kids around! All joking aside, it was the most perfect way to bond with the young women in my ward and man, do I have a whole new love for those ladies. It really is amazing how easily they slip out of their comfort shell and come alive in all the heat and mess of summer camp. I'm so thankful for the opportunity to get to know them in that environment!

We went to Camp Edgewood in DeQuincy, LA for 4 nights and 5 days. It was hotter than hot, it was humid and it rained for 2 days BUT it was so fun and extremely enlightening. Several times I had wished my family could experience it with me. Journal material for sure!

In a previous blog entry way back when, I bragged on Mike and his COPE (Challenging Outdoor Personal Experience) success. Well, I thought I'd give it a try while I was there. The first day was called Leap of Faith. I had to climb a 20-something foot long post and jump off the top to grab a ring in mid air. The second day was called Grapevine. It was a series of obstacles including climbing high posts, walking a wire, and walking a balance beam. Some scary stuff!! It really got my heart pumpin' and my hands sweating. But it was so challenging that when I completed it successfully, even I couldn't believe it. It was definately an adrenaline rush!

So here are pics of my Leap of Faith:
And here are some snazzy pics of me completing the Grapevine:

I'll be ready for next year, fo sho!

3 comments:

Chris said...

Great pics! Yeah, it looks like fun, but I'm secretly glad I'm not in any shape to try it. S-C-A-R-Y. Remember, I won't even go on a ferris wheel because of heights. I wish the YW in our ward could have that experience. Good for you!

Trista said...

I so agree with you about the importance of girls' camp in establishing relationships with your girls. That's why I went 9 months pregnant a few years ago. I wouldn't miss it!

The Sorensen Bunch said...

I L-O-V-E girls camp!!!! Looks like serious fun...maybe we can swap high adventure tricks!!! You go girl!