Ok, I'm working the blog at 8pm already which means there might be a good chance of going to bed early tonight. I'm excited! I was so tired this morning, I didn't even hear my alarm and I was so dragging. Mike is still out of town so he wasn't around to nudge me out of bed. Miss you baby!
So it's good to know that I'm not alone in the whole jogging thing. I got a couple of comments from people wanting to know my big plan. I googled it so I can't take any credit for it. It was my choice of training, honestly, because it looked easier than the others. I don't even know what site I got it from so I'll just jot it down here:
Of course before you start they recommend getting medical clearance and good running shoes. Also before you start , make sure you warm up by walking 5-10 minutes. Then cool down afterward.
Week 1: Walk for 6 minutes, then jog at an easy pace for 1 minute. Repeat 3 times. Aim for three sessions with that same sequence for one week.
Week 2: Walk for 5 minutes, then jog for 2 minutes. Repeat 3 times. Aim to do three sessions in week two.
Week 3: Walk for 3 minutes, then jog for 4 minutes. Repeat 4 times. Aim for four sessions in week three.
Week 4: Walk for 2 minutes, then jog for 5 minutes. Repeat 4 times. Shoot for four of those sessions in week four.
Week 5: Walk for 2 minutes, then jog for 8 minutes. Repeat 3 times. Do four of those sessions in week five.
Week 6: Walk for 2 minutes, then jog for 9 minutes. Repeat 3 times. Try to do four sessions for week six.
Week 7: Walk for 1 minute, then jog for 11 minutes. Repeat 3 times. Do four sessions this week.
Week 8: Congratulations on making it to week eight! For your first run this week, try walking for minutes to begin and end the workout, and run for 20 minutes in between. By the end of the week, try to run for 30 minutes without stopping. Aim to run for 30 minutes four times a week, and you'll notice that your stamina and fitness will continue to improve. Soon you'll be ready to run your first 5K!
You should be be able to carry on a conversation while running and your breathing shouldn't be heavy. (yeah right)
Drink water at the end of your workouts to rehydrate. If it's hot and humid, you should also drink some water (about 4-6 ounces) halfway through your workout.
So I'm going on my 4th day this week and I'm thinking that's one day too many if I'm reading the directions right. But I'm feeling great! I have more energy and the running is not too, too bad. Ok, it's still just one minutes. If I can't do that, I'm in big trouble. They also mentioned that even if you are feeling great, you should stick to the plan so you don't get overwhelmed and then give up. I've been getting up at about 6:15a to get kids up and moving, then I'm off to exercise at about 7:05a. But this morning was tough and I ended up doing it this evening. Great weather for it and had Zack with me to keep me company. He loves to exercise, crazy kid! After my second day, my shins were sore when I walked. Aching, not painful like shin splints. But other than that it's been pretty tolerable. I'm experimenting with the whole eating breakfast and drinking water thing. I have a tough time eating before 9am so this has been interesting. I think I'm going to just stick to drinking water or some juice about 1/2 hour before I go.
The kids have been so nice to each other this week. I'm not sure what is up but I'm loving it! Last night was our busy night of the week with Scouts and Achievement activities and the kids had a great time. Who would have thought over three years ago that at this time in my life I'd be helping to raise three kiddos! Crazy what life hands you. I've been very blessed to have found Mike. He's very loving and patient and affectionate. Just what I need in a husband. I think we work very well together. Too bad it took us half a lifetime to find each other!
Good luck my fellow jogger wannabe's. Please keep me updated on your progress... or lack of.
3 comments:
Chelle, do you like peanut butter? I like to toast a piece of bread and put peanut butter and honey - then eat it before I exercise. It helps my digestive system. I also like oatmeal, and feel more full when I eat that. Since you're not a breakfast person though, I would try the toast if you are a peanut butter person. Brett thinks I'm nuts. He has PB&J almost every day for lunch, but can't stomach it in the morning. It works for me though.
Remember to keep hydrated. The more you drink, the more the lactic acid flushes from your body. Lactic acid is known to cause soreness in muscles after workouts.
I agree with the peanut butter toast! That fills me up everytime I eat it in the morning and I last through til lunch! :o) I think I'm gonna give your little schedule a shot! I'll be doing it on my treadmill, so I'm wondering what 'speed' to set that at ...I don't want to get too tired, too fast! Hmmm...I'll have to mess around with it and see! Thanks for posting it! :o)
wow--you go girl! my SIL just posted on her blog that she got the new Biggest Looser exercise DVD and is loving it. so i've got all the Biggest Looser exercise DVD's on hold at the library and hopefully i will be able to work my way through them all and get a kickc-butt workout in the process (interspersed with running on my treadmill -- of course!)
Post a Comment